Welcome to the Whiteford Volunteer Fire Company Membership Division. We are always seeking new members to our organization and now it's easy by filling out the Membership Interest Form, located at the bottom of the page or call 410-638-3630 and press #3 for Membership. Just completely fill the form and the Membership Committee will promptly contact you. If you do not hear back within seven (7) days, please call the above number and leave a message.
We currently have five (5) types of classifications of membership, with each having specific minimum requirements. To help you make your decision, listed below are the minimum requirements to join and the application process.
Minimum Requirements for Membership
- You must be 18 years or older Cadets must be 16 years to 18 years old.
- You must be a high school graduate or posses a G.E.D. with the expectation of being:
- Probationary members that are enrolled in high school or have written consent from their parents or legal guardian(s) and a work permit
Regular Member -
- Any member, whether Probationary, Active, Life, Cadet, or Supporting shall be considered a Regular Member if said member successfully met the Harford County Fireman's Pension requirements.
- Is a person who participates in Fire or EMS duties and meets the requirements of a regular member.
- Is a person who receives 2/3 votes of acceptance from the Active membership and shall be on probation for a minimum of six (6) months from the date of acceptance.
- Is a person between the age of 16 to 18, who has provided proof of age, a work permit with the application, written consent of the parents or legal guardian(s) and a doctor's statment certifying applicant's ability to physically participate in Company activates.
- Is a member wishing to provide a service or function to the Whiteford VFC. This person is not required to meet the requirements of the Harford Pension System.
- Is a person of 18 years of age and would responsible for providing security at emergency scene or event. This includes traffic direction, scene security, & maintaining safety for emergency personnel. All personnel involved must complete the Maryland Fire & Rescue Institute Fire Police course.
The Membership Application Process
- Complete Application containing a $5.00 fee
- Attend a membership interview
- Pass a Criminal Background check
- Designate as type of classification of membership (i.e. Fire, EMS, Supporting)
- Pass a 2/3 vote of acceptance as a probationary member for a minimum of 6 months.
- Follow all By-Laws and Standard Operating Guidelines
Based on the classification of membership you are required to make certain percentage of responses, drills, training, community events, and fundraisers.
Benefits of Membership
- Community Service
- Free Training
- Family Commitment Atmosphere
- In-House activities (i.e. fundraisers, dances, crab feast, holiday gatherings)
- A $3500 dollar tax credit for members with six (6) years or more
- LOSAP volunteer program after twenty-five (25) of active service